Forms for Institutions

Looking for the Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request form? Trying to locate the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application? Trellis Company hosts dozens of government-approved student loan forms in Portable Document Format (PDF). If you’re looking for a particular form that we don’t have, you may find it on the Department of Education website. Let us know if we’re missing anything.

The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter into and continue in the teaching profession. To qualify for teacher loan forgiveness, a borrower must teach full time for five consecutive, complete academic years at an eligible elementary or secondary school or a qualifying location that serves low-income families, and must meet other criteria listed on the application. Teaching at an educational service agency may be counted toward the required five consecutive complete academic years only if the consecutive five-year period includes qualifying service at an eligible educational service agency performed after the 2007-2008 academic year. Depending on the criteria met, borrowers may qualify for up to $5,000 or up to $17,500 in forgiveness of their outstanding loan balances. For the specific criteria for teacher loan forgiveness, click on the application below.

A borrower seeking teacher loan forgiveness must complete and forward this application to his or her loan holder:

At the borrower’s request, the borrower’s loan holder must grant the borrower a forbearance in annual increments during each of the borrower’s five years of qualifying teaching service, if the loan holder believes that the borrower will qualify for forgiveness of his or her entire anticipated outstanding loan balance at the end of the required five years of teaching service. Borrowers who qualify for the forbearance will not be required to make payments while performing teaching service.

Borrowers should complete the forbearance form on an annual basis and forward it to their loan holder.

Borrowers with high loan debt and low income may qualify for the Income-Based Repayment (IBR) plan. IBR establishes a monthly payment that takes a borrower’s unique situation into account by considering the borrower’s income, family size, and federal student loan debt. A borrower must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for IBR. The loan holder will make a final determination of the borrower’s eligibility.

A borrower seeking IBR must complete and forward the Income-Driven Repayment Plan Request form to his or her loan holder. The monthly payment under the IBR plan will be based on a borrower’s current income (and spouse’s current income, if the borrower is married and files a joint federal income tax return). If the borrower believes that the adjusted gross income (AGI), as reported on the most recently filed federal income tax return, does not reflect the borrower’s current income (and spouse’s current income), the form allows the borrower to submit alternative documentation of income to determine IBR eligibility and payment amount.

Individuals who have a total and permanent disability (TPD) as defined in federal regulations may seek discharge of their loans or Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program service obligations.

Borrower must contact Nelnet, the US Department of Education’s TPD servicer, to advise them of their intent to request a total and permanent disability discharge, obtain applications to apply for the discharge, and obtain other important information related to the discharge process. Borrowers may contact Nelnet online at, by phone at (888) 303-7818, or by email at

A deferment is a temporary postponement of a borrower’s student loan repayment. This section links to forms used to apply for a deferment on an FFELP or FDLP loan. Borrowers are entitled to defer student loan payments if they meet certain eligibility criteria and request a deferment.

To apply for a deferment, download the appropriate deferment form, complete and sign it, and mail the form directly to your lender or servicer —not to Trellis Company. Each deferment request must be approved before your loan payments will be postponed. Check with your lender or servicer for more information. You can obtain information about your federal loans through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website using your FSA ID.

Deferment forms are available in English and Spanish and cover many deferment types:

Cancer Treatment Deferment Request (UNEM) English
Economic Hardship Deferment Request (HRD) English Spanish
Rehabilitation Training Deferment Request (RHT) English Spanish
Graduate Fellowship Deferment Request (GFL) English Spanish
In-School Deferment Request (SCH) English Spanish
Military Deferment Request (MIL) English (No Spanish version)
Parent PLUS Borrower Deferment Request (PLUS) English Spanish
Temporary Total Disability Deferment Request (TDIS) English Spanish
Unemployment Deferment Request (UNEM) English Spanish
The Department of Education has created certain loan discharges to provide debt relief to borrowers under certain circumstances, some within and some beyond the borrower’s control. A loan discharge is the release of a borrower’s obligation to repay his or her loan, either in whole or in part. Generally, discharges help borrowers who are experiencing serious life disruptions, and forgiveness programs encourage borrowers to work in certain professions while serving low-income families.

* The school closure and total and permanent disability discharge forms are also approved for use within the Federal Perkins Loan Program.

A forbearance is a period of time during which a borrower is permitted to temporarily cease making payments or reduce the amount of the payments. This section contains links to forms used to apply for certain types of forbearance on FFELP and FDLP loans. Borrowers are eligible to forbear student loan payments if they meet certain eligibility criteria and request a mandatory forbearance.

Another type of forbearance is a general or discretionary forbearance. A loan holder may grant a general forbearance to assist a borrower in fulfilling the repayment obligations of the loan and help prevent default. However, the loan holder has sole discretion in whether to grant or deny such a forbearance, and, if granted, for what period the forbearance will be applied.

To apply for a forbearance, download the appropriate deferment form, complete and sign it, and mail the form directly to your lender or servicer — not to Trellis Company. Each forbearance request must be approved before your loan payments will be postponed. Check with your lender or servicer for more information. You can obtain information about your federal loans through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website using your FSA ID.

When may a loan holder grant a mandatory forbearance?

Although a loan holder is not required to grant a discretionary forbearance, a loan holder must grant a mandatory forbearance under certain circumstances. These circumstances include:

  • A borrower’s participation in a medical or dental internship or residency program (beyond the maximum deferment time limit)
  • A borrower’s participation in a national service position where the borrower will receive an award under the National and Community Service Trust Act of 1993 (AmeriCorps)
  • While the borrower is performing qualifying service under the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program and the loan holder believes that the forgiveness amount will satisfy the anticipated loan balance at the time forgiveness will be granted
  • A borrower’s service that qualifies for partial loan repayment under the student loan repayment programs administered by the US Department of Defense
  • While the borrower serves on active military state duty as a member of the National Guard (including a member in retired status) during a time when the governor activates National Guard personnel for active state duty for a period of more than 30 consecutive days, and the Guard’s activities are paid with state or federal funds
  • A borrower is experiencing a student loan debt burden because the total monthly payment on all eligible federal education loans is equal to or greater than 20 percent of his or her total monthly income

Borrowers must provide documentation to support their eligibility for a forbearance in any of these circumstances.

A borrower may seek a Consolidation loan to merge several types of federal student loans with varying repayment terms into a single loan, or to lower monthly payments or extend the repayment period.

The Federal Direct Consolidation Loan form includes an application borrowers must complete to apply for the loan and a promissory note to secure the debt. The form also provides borrowers with instructions for completing the forms, important information regarding the borrower’s rights and responsibilities, and an overview of the loan process.

Borrowers can apply for a Federal Direct Consolidation Loan online, over the phone, or on a paper form at

Effective February 14, 2010, per Section 128(e)(3) of the Truth in Lending Act and Section 487(a)(28) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, upon an enrolled or admitted student’s request (or the request of a parent loan applicant) for a private education loan, a school must make available to the applicant — in written or electronic format:

  • The Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification Form, and
  • The information required to complete the form — specifically, the student’s cost of attendance, estimated financial assistance, and the difference between the two amounts — to the extent that this information is available to the school at the time of the applicant’s request.

The purpose of this form is to inform the applicant that

  • Free or lower-cost federal, state, or school aid may be available in place of, or in addition to, a more costly private education loan;
  • A private education loan may reduce eligibility for free or low-cost federal, state, or school aid; and
  • To apply for federal grants, loans and work-study, a student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss all financing options, including the availability of free or lower-cost financial assistance, with their school’s financial aid office.

Applicants must provide a complete, signed copy of this self-certification form to their private education loan lender. The private loan lender must collect and maintain the self-certification form, prior to disbursement of a private education loan.

Lenders, servicers, and guarantors developed the common FFELP Claim Form in the interest of providing uniformity and standardization to the FFELP claim-filing process. A lender or servicer uses the FFELP Claim Form to request claim reimbursement on a loan due to the borrower’s default, death, disability, bankruptcy filing, ineligibility for the loan, or situations involving school closure or false certification.

A lender or servicer uses the FFELP Supplemental Claim Form to request a claim payment increase within 90 days of receiving the claim payment.

Guarantors and FFEL lenders or servicers use FFELP Assignment Support Supplemental Form’s matrix to exchange information prior to assignment of the loan to ED. This form should be used in conjunction with the FFELP Claim Form when submitting a Total and Permanent Disability claim.

A lender or servicer uses the FFELP Ineligible Borrower and Identity Theft Supplemental Form to accompany the FFELP Claim Form to support and provide additional information necessary to request claim reimbursement for an Ineligible Borrower or Identity Theft claim.

A lender or servicer uses the Request for Reimbursement Due to Partial Discharge of a Federal Consolidation Loan form to request reimbursement for the partial discharge of a Federal Consolidation loan due to the death of a dependent student for whom a PLUS loan was received and later consolidated, the death or total and permanent disability of one of two borrowers on a co-made Federal Consolidation loan, or the discharge of an underlying loans due to a closed school or false certification situation.

Lenders and servicers looking to request assistance in resolving delinquent FFELP loan accounts can submit two types of requests using the Default Aversion Assistance Request (DAAR) form. The first is a Skip Request — a request for help in locating address and phone information for an account on which the lender is not otherwise eligible to request default aversion assistance. This type of request can be submitted at any time and is not mandatory.

The second type of request, a standard DAAR, lets a lender or servicer ask for assistance in resolving a FFELP account that is delinquent on monthly payments. It cannot be submitted until the account reaches 60 days past due. When initially submitting a DAAR, Trellis Company prefers that lenders and servicers use the Common Account Maintenance/Common Claim Initiative (CAM/CCI) process.